Doner kebab is a Turkish dish usually cooked on a vertical spit, commonly made of lamb but can also contain a mixture of veal and beef, or sometimes chicken. The sliced meat may be served wrapped in a flat bread or on a sandwich. Serves 4.
- 1 teaspoon plain flour
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian herbs
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 500g minced lamb
- Preheat the oven to 180 C / Gas 4.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, oregano, Italian herbs, garlic powder, onion powder, Cayenne pepper, salt and black pepper.
- Add the minced lamb and thoroughly mix through all dry ingredients. Using a kneading method for around 3 minutes will ensure the lamb is smooth and all dry ingredients are evenly combined.
- Shape the seasoned minced lamb & place into a loaf tin and place on a baking tray.
- Bake in the oven for around 1 hour 20 minutes. Turn the loaf half way through cooking time to ensure even browning.
- Once cooked, wrap kebab meat in foil and allow to rest for 10 minutes. Slice the doner kebab meat as thinly as possible and serve with warmed pitta bread and salad