There are many recipes for tiramisu, which translated means 'pick-me-up' or 'lift-me-up', due obviously to the large amounts of calories - and caffeine! - in it. Killer combinations of coffee, chocolate, sweet creamy cheese and soft biscuit.
- 3 Medium eggs
- 4 Tablespoons caster sugar
- 250g (8½ oz) Mascarpone cheese
- 250ml (9fl oz) Cold strong black coffee
- 5 Tablespoons of Brandy, Rum or Kahlua
- 200g (7oz) Sponge fingers (Ladies fingers)
- Unsweetened cocoa powder or grated chocolate, to decorate the surface
- Seperate the eggs in a bowl. Beat the yolks and sugar until thick and creamy. Beat the whites seperately until stiff.
- Add the Mascarpone to the yolk mixture, a spoonful at a time. Stir until smooth. Fold in the egg whites.
- Mix the coffe with the Brandy or Rum in a shallow bowl. Dip half the sponge fingers in the liquid, soaking both sides, and use them to line a serving dish. Pour half the Mascarpone mixture into the dish.
- Dip the remaining fingers in the liquid and arrange on top. Pour in the remaining half of Mascarpone and smooth the surface. Cover and chill for about 2 hours.
- Sprinkle generously with cocoa powder or grated chocolate (using a small sieve), before serving.