Red wine stew, to be used for a tough shoulder, leg or fillet traditionally of boar ,any other big game or a leg of pork.
- 1 leg of wild boarCut into pieces or cubes between 1 and 2 inches
- wheat flour
- 1 onion
- a small carrot
- one head of garlic
- thick and fat slice of smoked bacon (du lard fumé,) cut into thin slices
- a couple of handfuls of chopped mushrooms
- a bottle of strong red wine
- salt pepper
- herbes de Provence
- bay leaf
- the smallest can of concentrated tomatoes,
- fresh parsley
- Take a deep thick pot or casserole with a cover.
- Place butter and oil in it and the little cubes of fat bacon.
- The melting grease of the bacon flavours the fat. Once warm, put the onion cut into pieces.
- The carrot cut into thin slices.The garlic, and after a while the cubes of meat.
- Your fire must be quite strong and you must move these things all the time, keep heating until the meat is nicely browned.
- If you find it all too dry add some oil. Do that for around five minutes then reduce the heat , put your fingers in the flour pack, take what you can and sprinkle on the meat. The top becomes white.
- Turn it all, the white disappears, everything dries, dont let it burn but it must become dark brown.
- Do it again a 2nd time: sprinkle the flour over the meat and cook through.Add your concentrated tomatoes, 1 or 2 tablespoons no more. Mix it all again.
- Add your mushrooms .
- Mix again and leave it a short while. (A wee dram of Armagnac is allowed at this stage).
- Add the wine, all the meat must be under the wine level. No more, no less.
- Put the salt, the pepper the bay leaf and the parsley thoroughly cut. Increase the heat and let it boil a few minutes while moving it all continuously.
- Scrape the bottom of the pan well. Now reduce heat to minimum, place cover on top and let it cook smoothly for two hours. From time to time, you can lift cover, look and mix.
- After these two hours, take from the heat and let it rest covered another hour.
- Then you can taste and see if you've put enough salt at the beginning or if you must add more. Leave it like this and if possible serve only the next day, after another hour of very gentle heating.
- This dish is served with boiled potatoes or rice or big pasta like fresh fettuccine or tagliatelle.