This meat-based stew is one of the most popular and widely-known Bulgarian dishes that is prepared in many variants throughout the country. Typically it is cooked in an earthenware bowl or dish with a lid and is eaten as a hearty main course with rice. Serves 4
- 4 Thick Boneless Pork Chops – cut in cubes
- 1 Small Onion – diced
- 4 Leeks – sliced
- 8 oz Mushrooms – cut into quarters
- 2 Carrots – diced
- 1 Green pepper chopped
- 1 Small Can (oz.) Tomato Puree
- ½ Cup White Wine
- 1 Teaspoon Sugar
- ½ Teaspoon Cumin
- ½ Teaspoon Oregano
- 1 Bay Leaf
- A pinch of cayenne pepper
- Parsley to sprinkle on top once meal is ready
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- In a large skillet, brown pork cubes on medium-high heat. In a medium size cast iron pot (any pot will do it) saute the small onion and carrots.
- Add meat and bay leaf to the pot, stir.
- Then add mushrooms, leeks and pepper.
- Pour in wine. Let simmer for about 10-15 min.
- Add cumin and oregano.
- When liquid is almost gone add tomato puree, sugar and cayenne pepper.
- Let simmer again, until liquid has evaporated.
- Sprinkle with parsley.