Rosols, the special potato salad served on birthdays, holidays and all other special occasions. In Latvia the saying goes "even boys know how to make it! Rosols differ from home to home and dependant on who the cook has in store, the use of sausage is optional, it can be left out for a vegetarian dish.
- 2 medium potatoes
- 2 pickled cucumber or several smaller gherkins
- 1 carrot
- 2 hardboiled boiled eggs
- 1/3 of a long cucumber (fresh)
- 5 tablespoons canned green peas
- 2 hotdog style sausages cooked and cooled ( optional )
- 5 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/3 tablespoon oil
- 1/3 tablespoon vinegar
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 tablespoon mustard
- 1 onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1/3 tablespoon horseradish
- salt, pepper + sugar.
- In a bowl mix vegan mayonnaise, oil, vinegar, lemon juice, horseradish, mustard, salt, pepper and 1 tablespoon of water.
- Add finely chopped onion and garlic.
- Refrigerate for at least 40 minutes.
- Cook peeled potatoes and carrots in water until done but not mushy.
- Meanwhile cut all the veggies , into small cubes (not bigger than twice of the pea size).
- Chop the hardboiled egg into small pieces and if using slice the sausages in half lengthways and then chop into small pieces of similar size to the vegetables. Mix all the chopped veggies, beans, cubed potatoes and carrot with dressing.
- Refrigerate and serve.