Shopska salad is a traditional Bulgarian cold salad made from tomatoes, cucumbers, onion, raw or roasted peppers and sirene (Bulgarian cheese, feta cheese, white brine cheese). Shopska salad is a very distinctive Bulgarian dish. It is named after a group of very frugal people called shopi who live in the capital of Bulgaria, Sofia.
- 4 ripe tomatoes
- 2 long cucumbers
- 1 onion
- 1 red or green pepper
- 1/3 bunch of parsley
- 2 tablespoons (olive) oil
- 3 tablespoons of red wine vinegar
- 1 cup (1/2 lb) Bulgarian cheese (or feta cheese)
- Chop all tomatoes (we recommend leaving the pieces bigger), cucumbers and the pepper and put in a bowl.
- Add the finely chopped onions and parsley. Sprinkle with the oil and vinegar and mix it all together. Grate the feta on top.